Synopsis: Moderate: ntp security update
Advisory ID: SLSA-2017:0252-1
Issue Date: 2017-02-06
CVE Numbers: CVE-2016-9310
* It was found that when ntp is configured with rate limiting for all
associations the limits are also applied to responses received from its
configured sources. A remote attacker who knows the sources can cause a
denial of service by preventing ntpd from accepting valid responses from
its sources. (CVE-2016-7426)
* A flaw was found in the control mode functionality of ntpd. A remote
attacker could send a crafted control mode packet which could lead to
information disclosure or result in DDoS amplification attacks.
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd implemented the trap service. A remote
attacker could send a specially crafted packet to cause a null pointer
dereference that will crash ntpd, resulting in a denial of service.
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd running on a host with multiple network
interfaces handled certain server responses. A remote attacker could use
this flaw which would cause ntpd to not synchronize with the source.
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd calculated the root delay. A remote
attacker could send a specially-crafted spoofed packet to cause denial of
service or in some special cases even crash. (CVE-2016-7433)
– Scientific Linux Development Team